Wednesday, January 23, 2008

September

Septiembre 2007


Greetings dear friends in the Caribbean and other parts of the worlds ,)

September has come and gone and I can honestly say things have gone well. Upon entering this program I already know my experience was going to be different than the other volunteers who had come before me because 1. I come from a Puerto Rico giving me traditions and a culture similar to Latin America, and second I am a native Spanish speaker.

Even so I suspect that my experience is probably close to that of the volunteers in the U.K. It’s been a real adventure going from speaking Spanish to Castellano Argentina Style. Every Spanish speaking country has its own slang, sayings and we all know that when in a cross cultural experience, even though you might speak the same language even the food you try to order and find has disguised itself under a different name. It’s been at times if anything confusing and funny when I say for example I need my espejuelos (glasses) and they all look at me and say “What are espejuelos?” Then it becomes a game of finding synonyms or gestures and sometimes even drawings which in many cases leads to the discovery that the subject of the discussion has a completely different name or doesn’t exist in one place or the other.

Aside from all that things are going well. I live in a place called Hogar Universitario Luterano (The Lutheran Home for University Students). Six girls live on the topmost floor five guys on the lower level and my room is in the middle level along with the girls kitchen and dinning area and Pastor Andrea’s office. The home belongs to San Timoteo Lutheran Church where I am serving part of my year as a volunteer. In November they Hill celebrate their 50th anniversary as a congregation.

A few moments and memories taken from my box of collective memories.


Life at San Timoteo:

A 50th anniversary: Part of what I’ve been doing is helping create a timeline that tells the congregation’s history. Among pictures, memories, newspaper clippings, and storytelling I’ve been able to glimpse at what the life of this community has been.
Beyond anything I might have read there is what I have heard during weekly celebrations and visits to the pastor which has given me a taste of who they are today.

In my gathering of information I’ve also had the opportunity of reading the minutes from the meetings held by delegates of the different parts of the student home from 1960-1971. Each entry is written in pen by the leader of the meeting so it has felt like different voices from the past have spoken to me. In comparison the students who live here today share many of the same concerns. How do we share? How do we take care of this space in which we all live together?

These questions paint an image of what church is for me. It is in many ways a lot like a home where we live together; finding ways to take care of the space we live in each person doing his or her part. This does not mean that we will always agree and that we’ll get along 100% all the time not even in the best families that happens.
Relationships between people are hard regardless of how much love or lack there of we have for each other.

We continue our preparations in anticipation of the 50th anniversary celebration.
Along the way we celebrate in other ways as well, by sharing stories during a workshop on self esteem and rejoice in that alter so many rain filled days the sun has decided to show its face. Hopefully it will start being warm soon.

I especially celebrate the fact that I am here and that this community has accepted me as a new part of its being. One Saturday while waiting for a community meeting to take place Zulma one of the women of the church commented on how quiet I am. She recalled on how the other volunteers were always talking, asking “How do you say this, How do you say that...” Because I speak Spanish she expected me to be more talkative. “It’s not a bad thing everybody is different.” She said in the end but all of you who know me well know that I love to sit and listen. Occasionally I’ll have my moment where I’ll add my part in a conversation. Afterward Zulma asked me about my family and the part of me that likes telling stories came out, and I told the story about who my family is. Later on Sunday that part of me had another opportunity to come out when I was able to read a poem that I had written while here. I hope that in my different way of being, the exchange in storytelling and poetry recitals we will be able to know each other…



Life at HUL (Hogar Universitario Luterano)

When I arrived at HUL all the students were studying for exams. I can honestly say I’ve never seen people study so hard! They sat focused and hidden behind mounds of reading, caught in a pattern of underling, summarizing and preparing project to be turned in.

In the evening at about 9, 10 people start eating dinner. Many times you’ll find someone making rounds to see what others are having for dinner. One by one people will add on to the idea of a certain menu until you have 2, 4, 9 signed up to eat what you had in mind. Some one goes out to buy the supplies necessary to feed the amount of people agreed upon and then the cost of food is divided and the person who did the shopping is reimbursed. After we are good and full and its time to put things away and clean up we play a game called cartitas. Everyone’s name goes into a bowl and the names are one by one pulled out. The last name to come out has to clean, however there are those who cooked and worked to make the meal if their name comes up then the drawing starts over for a maximum of 3 times. After a third time the person called last is it.
There is one last chance to not be it and that is by drawing from the bowl at the end and guessing the name you drew. If you guess right then that person takes your place as dish washer for the night.

Down stairs 3 of the guys are studying music. In the mornings I wake up to the sound of a saxophone and in the afternoons I am accompanied by the strumming of a guitar. During the week choirs from the university come to practice in the temple in preparation for their exams and down, down stairs under the temple in the theater “El Escudo” drama students rehearse their plays. The day is filled with music, composed and natural from the songs the birds sing to the tucu tucu pa´ of the water heater.

Randomly I meet up with Anahi one of the girls living upstairs who has taken on the task of living me atleaste one hug a day ever since I said that I missed my mom’s hugs.

More often than not I’ll walk into the kitchen look left and find Eugenia immersed in her reading materials for her numerous psychology classes. She’ll laugh and starting sing a song that says Kris Kris Kristina… It’s from some Spanish artist and it has stuck so that even the other’s here have started singing it when they see me too.


La Casita:

A 20 minute bus ride away we arrive at “La Casita del niño Belén” in Ringuelet. This area is quieter and more residential than the hustle and bustle of La Plata. La Casita in truth is a after school support program and a cafeteria where the kids can eat in title but in actuality it is much more than that.

In the morning mostly little kids are there (3 to 9 years) and there are about twelve of them. If we don’t sit down to watch the three little pigs or Tom and Jerry, we’ll end up paining or learning how to make some sort of art’s and craft project. If the day is nice out we might play in the back yard, jumping rope or playing hop scotch. If the day is raining or cold like it has been lately then we’ll play a game called the rotten egg which is their version of “Duck, duck, goose.”

When I arrive at la casita Monica my supervisor also hugs me. Her hugs remind me of my mother’s hugs, I don’t think she’ll ever really know how much that helps. But life at la casita isn’t all fun and games. These kids come from homes where fighting and violence is norm. The other day we were playing a game of red light green light and one of the smaller kids Nicolas (3 years old) wanted to be the caller for the game but his older brother Jeronimo ( 5 years old) was it. In less than a second their cousin Kevin (4 or 5 years old I can’t remember) had joined in on the discussion and was already running in to hit Nicolas. I ran and grabbed each of them by the shirt pulling them apart at arms length turning circles so they couldn’t reach each other. After some convincing I was able to stop them from hitting each other for the moment 15 minutes later someone else was already starting a fight. That my friends is the other side of the story of la Casita, the hard side for me to be honest. To the extent that sometimes I don’t want to go back. I ask myself: What are you doing, you’re the least qualified person for something like this!?

Then amidst all the chaos and games, screams and tears every so often they’ll come together and really do something good. They’ll start playing like friends and treat each other with kindness; and in that push and shove to see what my limit will be with them they have learned that to get me to draw a picture for them to color they need only to say please…


This reminds me of something a friend of mine said and I’ll leave you with my memory of his words.

Vance Blackfox Robbins: “When we are passionate about something and we try to live out that passion in our lives, no where is it written that it will be easy or even pleasant. On top of that we might even be called to sacrifice our own comforts to achieve our dreams reaping an even greater reward…”

Well that was a peek into my first month here. In October I hope to be able to share more about the people who surround me. There is so much I don’t get to write here but I hope that some day when we see each other again there will be time to sit, and tell stories.




-@-

Septiembre 2007


Saludos queridos amigos/as en el caribe y otras partes del mundo;)

Ya vino y se fue septiembre y les cuento que me ha ido bien. Entrando en este programa ya sabia que mi experiencia como iba ser diferente al de las que vinieron antes. Primero por venir de una cultura que no es necesariamente la de los estados unidos y segundo por que ya hablo español.

Aun así hay mucho que se pierde en la traducción y para mi ha sido toda una aventura el aprender castellano a lo Argentino. Todo país tiene su jerga y dichos, igual todos sabemos que si visitamos a otros países de habla hispana hasta la comida puede disfrazarse de otro nombre. Melocotones se han convertido en duraznos, la piña ahora se llama ananá, un bochinche es un alboroto y una chusma es una bochinchera. Y peor con la detección de malas palabras cuando trabajo con los niños chicos (pequeños) o los pibes (jóvenes).

Mas aya de las palabras todo me va bien. Vivo en el Hogar Universitario Luterano con seis chicas más en los altos y cinco chicos en el primer piso del hogar. Yo tengo mi habitación en el medio entre los dos, paralelo con el comedor de las chicas y la oficina de la pastora Báez. El hogar le pertenece a la Iglesia Luterana San Timoteo en donde estoy sirviendo como voluntaria. El mismo celebra su aniversario de 50 años ahora el día 3 de noviembre.

Algunos momentos y recuerdos sacados de mi cajita de memoria colectiva:


Vida en San Timoteo:

50 años de una congregación: Parte de mi trabajo ha sido ayudar en crear una línea cronológica de la historia de la congregación. Entre fotos recuerdos, recortes y recuentos poco a poco he podido mirar a través de la ventana que muestra lo que ha sido la vida de esta comunidad. Más aya de lo que pueda leer esta lo que escucho en las celebraciones semanales y las visitas a la pastora donde conozco quienes son estas personas hoy.

También en este recorrido he podido leer las actas de los delegados de las distintas casas que componían el Hogar Universitario Luterano en los años 60-71. Cada acta fue escrita en el puño y letra del que dirigió la reunión, por lo tanto mientras leo me siento como si personas distintas me estuviesen hablando. En comparación hasta el momento, universitarios viviendo en el Hogar en aquel entonces tienen muchas de las mismas preocupaciones que se tienen hoy en día. ¿Como compartimos? ¿Como cuidamos de este espacio en el cual todos convivimos?

Mirando todas estas cosas pinto la imagen de que la iglesia es en muchos casos como un hogar donde convivimos y tenemos que ponernos de acuerdo en como cuidar de ella cada uno poniendo de su parte. Y esto no significa que siempre van a ver acuerdos ni siquiera que nos vamos a llevar bien el 100% del tiempo pero en familia las situaciones son iguales. Las relaciones entre seres humanos por mas llenos de o falta de amor son difíciles.

Continuamos en preparación de la celebración del 50 aniversario, de camino celebramos mientras compartíamos historias durante un taller de autoestima y mas aun celebramos que después de tantos días de lluvia al fin a salido el sol. Ojala que pronto empiece el calor.

Y yo celebro que estoy aquí y me reconocen como parte nueva de la comunidad. Este sábado pasado mientras esperábamos por comenzar una reunión de comunidad una de las damas Zulma comento de lo callada que soy. Se acordaba de las otras voluntarias que se pasaban preguntando “Como se dice esto, como se dice lo otro…” Pensó que ya que hablo español estaría hablando mucho más. “No es malo sino diferente.” Dijo en fin pero el que me conoce sabe que me gusta sentarme a escuchar y tengo mis momentos de comentario o compartir. Después Zulma me pregunto sobre mi familia y salio la parte de mi que le gusta contar historias y pude compartir quienes son mi familia. Luego el domingo esa parte de mi tuvo otra oportunidad en donde les leí un poema que escribí estando aquí. Espero que en mi manera diferente y el intercambio de historias y poemas nos podamos conocer…


Vida en HUL (Hogar Universitario Luterano)

Cuando llegué al Hogar todos se encontraban estudiando para exámenes. ¡Les cuento que en mi transcurso académico nunca vi a un grupo de personas estudiar tanto!
Se perdían entre hojas para leer, resúmenes por redactar y proyectos por entregar.

Por las tardes como eso de las 9, 10 de la noche se reúnen para cenar. Muchas veces pasa alguien preguntando que va comer cada cual y se terminan juntando 2 o 4 o 9 para comer. Se sale a comprar los materiales y luego dividimos el costo. Cuando ya nos llenamos y es hora de guardar y lavar salen las cartitas. El juego de las cartitas consiste en que el nombre de todo el que comió se escribe en un papelito. Luego se van sacando el nombre que queda al final es la persona que lavara los platos. A menos que salga un comodín. Los comodines son aquellas personas que cocinaron y ayudaron en la preparación de la comida. Si sale un comodín se vuelven a sacar las cartitas al menos cuatro veces si a la cuarta sale un comodín entonces le tocara lavar.
De última existe la salvada, un último intento donde la persona escogida saca una cartita y si adivina de quien es la persona adivinada entonces tendrá que lavar.

Abajo entre los chicos hay tres que están estudiando música. Por las mañanas me levanto al son de un saxo y por las tardes me acompaña el cantar de una guitarra. En la semana se da que practican coros en el templo en preparación para exámenes de dirección y coral y abajo del templo en el teatro “El Escudo” ensayan los estudiantes de teatro. El día se llena de música compuesta y música natural con el cantar de los pájaros y el tucu tucu pa´ del calentador de agua.

Al azar me encuentro con Anahi una de las chicas del hogar quien se ha dado la tarea de dar me por lo menos un abrazo diario ya que le había hecho mención de que me hacían falta los abrazos de mi mama. Y muy a menudo paso por la cocina a encontrarme con Eugenia inmersa en las lecturas de sus clases de psicología ella se ríe y canta una canción que dice Kris kris kristina
Ya se ha pegado y los demás han empezado a cantármela también.

La Casita:

A veinte minutos en micro o colectivo (guagua), llegamos al “La Casita del niño Belén” en Ringuelet. Esta zona es más residencial y tranquila en contraste con el bullicio y vaivén de La Plata. La Casita en realidad es un comedor y centro de apoyo escolar en titulo pero en realidad viene siendo más que eso. Por la mañana vienen los jardineros (niños preescolares o elementales de 3 a 9 años) hay como doce de ellos que vienen a la casita por las mañanas. Si no nos sentamos a ver a los tres chanchos o a Tom y Jerry (Sherry), pintamos y aprendemos alguna manualidad. Si el día esta bueno podemos jugar afuera brincando cuica y saltando cuadritos. De lo contrario jugamos al huevo podrido que es una versión del juego “Duck, duck, goose.”

En la casita Monica mi supervisora siempre que llego me abraza y sus abrazos me acuerdan a los de mi madre. No sabe el bien que me hacen. Sin embargo la vida no es todos abrazos y sonrisas en la casita. Estos chicos vienen de hogares donde la violencia y las peleas es lo común. El otro día estábamos jugando un dos tres pescao uno de los niños mas pequeños Nicolás (años) quería ser el cantor pero su hermano Jerónimo (5 años) le tocaba, en menos de un segundo se había metido a la discusión el primo de ellos Kevin (4 o 5 años no me acuerdo) y este ya se estaba lanzando para caerle a puños a Nicolás. Salí corriendo separándolos lo mas posible uno en cada brazo.
En fin logre evitar que se dieran en ese momento pero 15 minutos después ya estaban peleando de nuevo. Este es el otro lado de la Casita. El lado difícil para mi, tanto así que a veces no quiero ir. Me pregunto ¡¿Que hago aquí soy la persona menos indicada para un trabajo como este!? Aun así dentro del caos y los juegos los gritos y los llantos cada tanto alguno de ellos hace bien y se ayudan, empiezan a jugar como es y se tratan con cariño. Y en ese tire y jala para saber hacia donde pueden llegar conmigo ya saben que no lograran que les haga un dibujito o que les ayude con su proyecto sin que primero me digan por favor.

Y con eso les dejo con un recuerdo. Las palabras de un amigo mío que se llama
Vance Blackfox Robbins: “Cuando en la vida algo nos apasiona y nos echamos de lleno por vivir esa pasión las cosas no siempre son agradables incluso a veces es necesario sacrificar nuestra comodidad logrando así una recompensa mayor…”


Bueno gente este es un pequeño vistazo dentro de la vida acá durante el mes de septiembre. En Octubre espero poder hablarles mas sobre personas especificas. Hay tanto que no se puede escribir ahora pero espero algún día cuando nos volvamos a ver espero poderlas contar.

No comments: